After extraction of a tooth
To speed up the healing process , please implement the measures suggested below . However, please remember that it is quite normal to experience some discomfort to have lower swollen face after tooth extraction .
Day of surgery :
- Keep the compresses in your mouth for an hour or two, while maintaining firm pressure . The substitute every half hour , as needed.
- Keep your head in an upright position at all times.
- Apply a cold compress to cheek at regular intervals ( 20 minutes per hour cold ) .
- If bleeding , use gauze or a moistened tea bag and bite for about twenty minutes.
- Several patients have blood flow and notice a reddish color in their saliva .
- Limit physical efforts.
- Remove the coagulated blood clot as it serves to optimize healing.
- Eating before stopping bleeding.
- Drink through a straw.
- Rinse your mouth or spit.
- Smoking or drinking alcohol.
- Eating hard to chew food.
- Brushing teeth near the extraction area for the first 72 hours.
Take the medication you have been prescribed, if necessary. Take antibiotics that were given to you for this treatment, respecting the specified number of days, even in the absence of symptoms.
suggested food :
On the day of extraction, eat only soft foods or lukewarm beverages. When you feel better, you can start eating normally.
The next day until complete recovery:
- Rinse mouth three times a day with warm water and salt (2 ml or 1/2 c. Teaspoon salt in 250 ml or 1 cup of water).
- Brush your teeth and floss daily to remove plaque and promote a better result in the long run. Avoid brushing around the extraction area within the first 72 hours.
- Avoid eating hard foods (nuts, candy, ice)
- It is possible that some words are more difficult to pronounce and your saliva is more abundant than usual. Everything back to normal in less than a week.
- It is possible to appear bruises on your face. They will disappear after five to seven days.
- Some are struggling to open her mouth up to five days of extraction.
- If after three days the pain is increasing instead of decreasing, do not hesitate to call us.
Have no fear, you will surely feel better after a few days and can resume your normal activities. In case of pain, heavy bleeding, swelling for 2-3 days or reaction to prescribed medication, please contact us without delay at 514 925-3368.